Are you looking to cancel your Xbox Game Pass? If yes, then it is essential for you to know that once you cancel the Xbox game pass, you will no longer be able to access all your favorite games via Xbox.
However, if you are already aware of this and have made up your mind to cancel the Xbox game pass subscription, then in this article, I will tell you each and everything regarding Xbox game pass cancellation.
Just keep reading!
What Is Xbox Game Pass?
Xbox game pass is a feature that gives you access to as many as 200 games which you can easily download and play on your Xbox One device for a specific fee per month. Also, if you upgrade your subscription to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate feature, then you get the additional benefits of Xbox Live Gold, Extra Xbox Game Pass for PC, and shortly after that, you also get access to the Project xCloud, a cloud gaming service for the same uniform price.
Till you are paying the monthly fees regularly, you can download and play the games as many as you want and whenever you like. The Xbox Games Pass Ultimate comes at a price of $ 14.99 per month. The standard version of the Game pass, which is known as the console-only version, does not include the Gold or PC version. This version comes with a price of $ 9.99 per month to £ 7.99 per month. You also get the PC-only version for a cost of $ 4.99 or £ 7.99 at the present moment.
Features Of Xbox Game Pass
Xbox game pass is a game subscription service introduced by the Microsoft company in 2017, which offers extensive access to a large number of games to the gamer community. Let us have a look at some of the features of the pass:
- There is no need to get the games delivered to your address. You can just download the software and play the game.
- The subscription offers both single-player games and multi-player ones
- You can play the games either through a PC, smartphone, or Xbox console.
- The free games are provided to you only till you are maintaining the subscription by paying for it.
- New releases in the Gaming World are immediately released on the Xbox Game Pass just on the first day of release.
How To Cancel Xbox Game Pass?
If you do not wish to continue the Xbox subscription anymore, then there are many ways to cancel it. Let’s discuss each way with the step-by-step guide to cancel your subscription easily.
Cancel On Xbox Console:
To cancel Xbox pass through the Xbox console:
- Open the ‘’Guide menu’’ on the Xbox home screen by using the Xbox controller in order to locate the ‘’Profile Icon’’ followed by pressing the “A” button.
- After that, scroll through the Menu Options and select the ‘’Gear Icon’’. This would open the “System” tab.
- Again, Scroll down to the “Settings’’ option, then press the “A” button to select it.
- On the screen that will appear, go to the “Account” tab and then go to the right side of the page to select the “Subscriptions” tab. Now press the “A” button to move ahead.
- Select the subscription you want to manage and proceed by pressing the “A” button.
- Under the “Payment and Billing” section, select the “View and Manage subscription” option to move ahead.
- Now, Microsoft Edge opens your account on the website of Microsoft, i.e., Microsoft.com. Use the console to navigate to the subscription you wish to cancel.
- Select the “Manage” link located under the Xbox Logo and then press the “A” button on the Xbox console.
- Lastly, move the on-screen cursor by using a controller and locate the ‘’Cancel’’ option. Then, press the ‘’A’’ button to complete the process.
Cancel On PC:
When you cancel the Xbox game pass, you first have to pay all the amount of the subscription which is pending; only then you can cancel the subscription.
However, if you do not want to cancel the Xbox Game pass through the console, you can also cancel the subscription through the web browser on the PC. Here are the steps:
- Go to the ‘Microsoft website’ (account.microsoft.com)
- ‘’Log in’’ to your personal account.
- Tap on the “Services and Subscriptions” tab.
- In the list of the subscriptions and services, look for the ‘’Xbox Game pass subscription’’.
- After that, click on the “Manage” option and then click on ‘’Cancel’’.
- Select the option you want to cancel and click on the “Next” button
- Finally, click on the ‘’Confirm Cancellation’’ to cancel the Xbox Game pass subscription successfully.
Cancel On Your Phone:
You can also cancel the Xbox game pass on your phone. Follow these steps for the process:
- Open the preferred web browser, e.g., Google Chrome, and then go to Microsoft’s official website.
- “Sign in” to your personal Microsoft Account.
- In the account, tap on the “Services and Subscriptions” button
- Move down to the “Manage” button located next to the Xbox Game Pass and click on it.
- Select the “Change” option.
- Choose the “Turn off Recurring billing’’.
- To confirm the cancellation, tap on the “Confirm Cancellation” option.
How To Stop Xbox Game Pass Auto-Renewal?
Another way of canceling the Xbox Game Pass subscription is to cancel the auto-renewal option. By availing this option, you can keep the Game Pass subscription open and play the video games till the end of the subscription period.
Here are the steps to follow to turn off the auto-renewal option:
- Go to the Microsoft official website and log in to your personal account.
- Click on the “Services and Subscriptions” option.
- In the list of the subscriptions and services, select the Xbox Game Pass subscription and click on the “Manage” option.
- Click on the “Change” button.
- Select the “Turn off recurring bill” option.
- If you are using a yearly plan, then turning off the auto-renewal option is not a good alternative. You can select the “Switch Plan” option instead.
- To confirm the process, tap on the “Confirm Cancellation” option.
Now the auto-renewal cancellation process is complete.
Now you can play the video games till your subscription period ends. Once the Xbox Game Pass subscription ends, you will be denied access to the Xbox Game Pass subscription video games.
If you’ve got bored of playing video games on Xbox live, then you can cancel your Xbox live subscription to get rid it.
How To Cancel Xbox Game Pass Ultimate?
Xbox Game pass ultimate is the name of the upgraded version of the subscription pack, which comes with the Xbox Live Gold subscription and provides access to as many as 100 quality video games. All these benefits make Xbox Game pass ultimate an excellent option to consider.
However, if you do not find this pack good enough, then it is time to cancel this subscription pack. Follow these steps to cancel Xbox Game pass ultimate subscription:
- Open the web browser and go to the official Microsoft website and sign into the personal Microsoft account.
- Tap on the “Services and Subscriptions” option. This will open a new page that will show you a list that will contain all your subscriptions and services.
- Scroll down, and you will find a “Manage” button located next to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate pass subscription.
- On selecting the “Manage” option, you will be directed to a new page, the management page, where you can select the “Cancel” option.
- After this step, just select the “Turn off the Recurring Billing” option.
The Game pass ultimate subscription will be ended immediately.
What Happens When You Cancel Xbox Game Pass?
Microsoft offers the user two ways to cancel the subscription, both having different effects: The first way is directly canceling the Xbox Game Pass, and the second way is turning off the auto-renewal option. Here is what happens when you cancel the subscription availing either of the two ways:
- If you cancel the subscription by “cancelling Xbox game pass” process, then you can receive the partial refund, or you can also end the subscription when it expires.
- Choosing the ‘turning off the auto-renewal option” will result in the automatic cancellation of the subscription by Microsoft when the subscription period has expired.
However, when you cancel the Xbox subscription, it does not impact the achievements that you earned while playing games, and it also does not affect your game progress anyhow.
If you decide to subscribe again to the service at any point of time, you can restart from the point where you left only as long as you have saved the data on the gaming console or the gaming cloud.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I cancel Xbox Game Pass after $1?
Yes, you have the liberty of cancelling the Xbox game pass subscription at any time, after which you will receive the benefits till the end of the subscription period.
Can I cancel Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and go back to Gold?
No, there is no such option of reverting to any particular service of the Xbox game pass such as Gold.
What is the difference between Xbox Game Pass and Ultimate?
Xbox Game Pass ultimate is an upgraded version of the Xbox game pass subscription, which gives you access to as many as 100 high-quality video games.
Can I keep the games from Xbox Game Pass?
Yes, you can keep those games if they are multi-player ones.
How can I get a refund for cancelling Xbox Game Pass?
When you cancel the subscription within the 30 days of the first chase, you can get the refund within 72 hours.