Xbox Live is a paid service (a gold version) that provides the user all the premium and exclusive benefits of different video games.
The sign-in process of the Xbox Live Gold is free. Still, you have to pay for the recurring subscription purpose to benefit from activities, including online games, especially multiplayer ones, game recording feature and media sharing feature.
The cost of this subscription is $ 9.99 per month, $ 24.99 for three months and $ 59.99 for a year.
However, Xbox live is not necessarily a good utility option for all the users, and some people might not use the service regularly.
If you are also one who does not want to continue with the subscription anymore, you can cancel the subscription through various means.
How To Cancel Xbox Live?
The main three ways to cancel this subscription are through the website, the Xbox One console and Donotpay.
Cancel Via website
To cancel the Xbox Live subscription easily, you can go to the official website of Xbox and cancel it from there. Also, you can avail of the refund for any Xbox live subscription that you do not use. Here are the steps for how to cancel Xbox live through the website.
- Open the official Xbox website and sign in to the ‘Microsoft account’ connected to your ‘Xbox Live account’.
- On the new page that will appear, move down to the ‘Profile icon’ located at the top right corner and select it.
- Then, select the ‘Subscriptions’ option.
- After that, go to the ‘Xbox live Gold section’ located in the ‘Services and Subscriptions’ page and select the ‘Manage’ option.
- In the new window that will appear, navigate to the ‘Payment and Settings’ tab and tap on the ‘Cancel’ option.
- A message will appear on the screen to ask you for confirmation; you just have to click on the ‘Next’ button to continue.
- Finally, select ‘Confirm cancellation’. After the cancellation, you will get a partial refund of the payment, and all the benefits of the Gold subscription will be revoked.
Cancel Via Xbox One Console
If you do not want to cancel the subscription through the website, then another option is to cancel it through the Xbox One console. The steps are as follows:
- Turn on the ‘Xbox One Console’ and sign into the ‘personal Xbox account’ if you have not yet signed it.
- Press the ‘Home’ button on the ‘Console Controller’ and choose the “Settings” option.
- In the Settings column, you are required to go to the “Accounts” section, located at the bottom of the page.
- Now in the Accounts section, you have to click on the “Subscriptions” tab.
- Then you have to choose the subscriptions that you wish to cancel.
- On the page which will appear next, scroll down and select the “View and Manage subscription” tab.
- With this, a new webpage will open where you will have to move your cursor back again to the subscription which you want to cancel by clicking on the “Manage” option followed by selecting the “Cancel” option.
Thus, your Xbox subscription will be cancelled successfully.
Turn Off Xbox Live Auto-renewal
The auto-renewal of the subscription is also known as the recurring billing option. If you want to avail of this option to cancel Xbox live, then these are the steps for the same:
- Go to the ‘Xbox website’ and log in with your ‘Microsoft account credentials’.
- Click on the ‘Account icon’ located at the top right of the page.
- Tap the ‘Menu icon’ shown by the three dots in the pop-up menu situated below.
- Click on the “Subscriptions” tab to gain access to the subscriptions of your memberships.
- After this, go to the ‘Xbox Live Gold section’ and click on the “Manage” option. If you already have an “Xbox game pass”, you can also choose the “Manage” section in there itself.
- Further, go to the window for checking your ‘Payment information’. In this section, click on the “Change” button.
- After that, click on the “Turn off recurring bill” tab in the pop-up menu that will appear below.
- Next is the confirmation step in which you have to confirm the cancellation just by clicking on the “Confirm” button.
When you do this, the Xbox membership will run until the subscription period of the membership expires. Once it has expired, then the live membership will end, and the account will return to its old status.
Cancel Via Donotpay:
When you have to cancel any subscription all by yourself, then it is always a tedious process. Hence, sometimes you should take the help of an app to cancel any subscription easily, in this case, Xbox Live.
Donotpay is an excellent app through which you can cancel the Xbox Live subscription. Follow these steps for the successful cancellation:
- Go to the ‘Donotpay app‘ from your preferred web browser.
- Select the “Find Hidden Money” option.
- In the search bar, type the keyword “Xbox Live” for the subscription you wish to cancel.
- When the subscription of Xbox is cancelled, you will be informed by the company through an e-mail.
What Happens When You Cancel Your Xbox Live Subscription?
When you cancel the Xbox gold subscription, two things can happen as its consequence:
- When you cancel the Xbox live gold subscription recurring payment, which is also known as turn-off automatic renewal, no significant change will be observed immediately. You still have access to all the Xbox Live Gold features till the end of the subscription period.
- If you cancel the Xbox subscription and receive a partial refund for the same, you immediately lose accessibility to Xbox Live Gold’s features.
Even if you cancel your Xbox Live Gold Subscription, it does not imply the cancellation of your Xbox network account. All the gamer tags, the saved files of your games, the achievement statuses, along with any other games and digital content which you have purchased through the Xbox Game service, will be there.
The Xbox Live subscribers who are using Xbox 360 consoles and have received free games through the ‘Games with Gold program’ actually have permission to keep the games, and they are also allowed to play those games, even if they do not have an active Xbox Live Gold subscription.
The Games with Gold program provided by Xbox One games is available only as long as you have an Xbox Live Gold Subscription, which is still active. When you cancel the subscription, you lose access to the Games with Gold feature. Access to this feature is regained when and if you resubscribe to the Xbox one games shortly.
So, guys, this is the complete guide to cancel Xbox live subscription. You can choose any method described above to cancel your subscription. Hope you found this article helpful.